Turner’s prints were a major achievement of the C19th - combining art, craft, technology and commerce. This evolving website hosts an illustrated catalogue raisonnée of JMW Turner's prints. Turner produced around 750 prints in his lifetime and more appeared later, going through many editions and changes of state. Refining the early C20th catalogues can no longer be the work of single scholar, so this is designed as an updateable database where users can contribute ideas, data and images. The starting point of this database are the catalogues prepared by Rawlinson and Finberg, being gradually augmented by subsequent scholarship.
Individual pages for each print explore its history in more depth. Various states of that print are illustrated and can be compared at high resolution. Users are able to identify the differences between states using the supplied comparison too. In addition, a user is able to upload a high resolution image (>600 or 1200 dpi) for comparison with the existing images, on condition that this image (and its metadata) are incorporated into the database.
In the comparisons, the first named image is compared with the second. Any feature (line, defect etc) that is added to the first image to create the second image is shown in red. Any feature that is removed from the first image to create the second image is shown in blue.
- R177_epa_YCBA_B1977.14.6801 vs R177_epb_YCBA_B1977.14.6804
- R177_epfalse_YCBA_B1977.14.6805 vs R177_epb_YCBA_B1977.14.6804
- R177_epfalse_YCBA__B1977.14.6805 vs R177_epii_YCBA_B1977.14.13279
- R317a_epc_cvh0128 vs R317a_epa_cvh0129
- R317a_etc_cvh0127 vs R317a_epc_cvh0128
- R779_G_cvh0590 vs R779_C_cvh0762
- R779_C_cvh0762 vs R779_ii_cvh0927
- R779_epai_hg1305 vs R779_epaii_hg1306
- R779_epaii_hg1306 vs R779_epc_hg1308
- R779_ii_cvh0927 vs R779_epai_hg1305